Friday, December 11, 2009

Barneys New York 2009 Christmas Window Display

Photobucket

Over the upcoming days and weeks I will be posting pictures from all the various Christmas activities that take place around the city. Of course I will post the famous Christmas Store Window Displays, but also pictures of the various major Christmas Trees, Santa Rescue, Santacon (convention), Carolings, Gingerbread Houses, Macy's Santaland, Train Shows, Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular, Nutcracker and 6th Ave. (Ave. of the Americas) Mega Decorations and videos of The Big Apple Chorus South Street Seaport Singing Christmas Tree and the six Grand Central Station Laser Shows. As much as time (and my camera and camcorder batteries) allow I will try to provide for you a one stop virtual visit to Christmas in New York. I JUST LOVE NEW YORK CITY, ESPECIALLY AT CHRISTMAS TIME, and I hope that love comes through in my pictures.



I have been taking NYC Holiday Window Display photos since 2004 and usually Barneys is my least favorite because I am moreso a traditional type of Christmas gal. Whether or not they are my favorite though I still do admire the creativity that goes into their displays because they are always unique. This year, just like in 2007, I really did enjoy their displays. The theme is Have a Witty Holiday and they are celebrating the 35th anniversary of Saturday Night Live. The windows are composed of one vignette and then three windows of huge character inspired papier-mache ornaments, divided into what I labeled as the Males, the Females, and then the Royalty. One notable absence is Eddie Murphy. I was quite surprised to not see an ornament of one of his Highly Popular and Funny characters. I really wonder why he wasn't included. The windows were designed by Barneys' renowned creative director Simon Doonan.


The logo and the daytime exterior photo are not my photos.


Photobucket

Photobucket

As they annually do, one window is always dedicated to art that is created by students.
"We asked the children of The East Harlem School to paint a portrait of the WITTIEST person - celebrity, friend or family member - in their lives.

GIVE GOOD ART!

These one of a kind artworks are for sale. 100% of the proceeds benefit The East Harlem School.

For further information call 212-876-8775 x305 www.eastharlemschool.org"


Photobucket

The first of the SNL windows is The Coneheads. Across the display are a variety of their quotes.
"I am engaged in preparing your favorite meal, small tubes combined with lactate extract of hooved animals." "Ah, you mean macaroni and cheese."

"Just do all of your homework and tell everyone we come from France."

"I am Beldar, this is Prymaat. We are emissaries from the planet Remulak."

"Must consume mass quantities."


And the walls are covered with Famous Cone Names like The Cone Ranger, Cone-y Soprano, The Rolling Cones, Cone-ie Francis, Cone-y Orlando, Harry Conehead Jr., Cone-way Twitty, Cone-a-Lisa (whose conehead extends past the picture frame Lol!) and my favorite L.L. Cone J! :D

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



The second window is dedicated to the various male characters/actors over the years and the floor is covered with various famous sayings. (Since children might visit this site I have blurred out certain objectionable words.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Chris Kaitan as Mango

Photobucket

Mike Myers as Wayne Campbell and Dana Carvey as Garth Algar, hosts of the Aurora, Illinois-based cable access television show Wayne's World

Photobucket

Will Ferrell as Janet Reno

Photobucket

Don Novello as Father Guido Sarducci

Photobucket

Tracy Morgan as Brian Fellows

Photobucket

Chris Farley as Matt Foley the Motivational Speaker

Photobucket

Dana Carvey as The Church Lady

Photobucket



The third window is dedicated to the various female characters/actors over the years and the floor is covered with various famous sayings. (Since children might visit this site I have blurred out certain objectionable words.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rachel Dratch as Debbie Downer and Kristin Wiig as Gilly

Photobucket

Mike Myers as (Coffee Talk with) Linda Richman

Photobucket

Molly Shannon as Mary Katherine Gallagher

Photobucket

Amy Poehler in Weekend Update

Photobucket

Comic Genius Tina Fey as Sarah Palin (Saturday Night Live at its Best!)

Photobucket

Maya Rudolph as Condoleeza Rice

Photobucket

Julia Sweeney as androgynous Pat

Photobucket

This ornament had twisted away from the display so I don't know who it represents. If I get the chance, I will go back, find out, take another picture and update this post.

Photobucket



The final window is what I call the SNL Royalty window because it contained some of the all time BEST talent to be on the show. I Really wish Eddie Murphy had been included in this window. The bottom of the display had tons of photos of all the cast members.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Comedy Queen Gilda Radner as Rosanne Rosanna Danna. She is gone, but definitely NOT forgotten.

Photobucket

The Incredibly Talented Steve Martin as King Tut. LOVED him in All of Me and A Simple Twist of Fate.

Photobucket

And the One and Only John Belusi as Killer Bee. I will never forget him in Animal House! :D

Photobucket

Thirty-five Years of Laughter! Go SNL!! :D

Photobucket

Co-creator Lorne Michaels

Photobucket



If you liked these photos please take a moment to leave a comment telling me so. It would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. :) I put a lot of time and effort into these photos and wait until about midnight or later to go take them so that the views are unobstructed with passerbys.

1 comment:

Ro said...

such great pics!!! I LOVE snl!!!!